How to Stay Safe from Electrical Dangers at Home

ចែករំលែកអត្ថបទនេះ  

Homes are not homes if every room of the house isn’t decorated by an electrical appliance to make life easier. In fact, it has become a necessity in modern living since it’s possible to breeze through tasks and chores if you have the right gadget for it. Despite the numerous pros to electrical appliances, having too many household appliances and not taking care of them properly can cause grave injuries.

Learn these home safety tips to prevent electrical accidents at home below.

Damages of electrocution

The damages that electricity could do to your body because of an appliance malfunctioning is serious. Some lead to permanent damage and all of them causes grievous bodily harm as you can see below:

  1. Internal organ damage
  2. Burns
  3. Arrhythmia
  4. Muscle pain and contractions
  5. Cardiac arrest
  6. Seizures
  7. Death

Tips to stay safe from electrical hazards

1. Be careful of outlet usage

When you have a lot of appliances you use, sometimes it is unavoidable to plug it all in one socket at the same time. However, this is something you need to stop doing. Whether your wall you have an extension cord plugged in or multiple sockets you can use, it doesn’t mean you need to utilise them all. This is because you run the risk of overloading your outlets, leading to overheating and possibly starting fires.

Overloaded electrical sockets tend to overheat because they transmit too much electricity to run the devices you plugged in. When this happens, it generates heat in large amounts to the point of sparking a fire so make sure to use your outlets wisely. Additionally, if you have appliances like a refrigerator that requires higher watts to function, make sure you separate its plug from other outlets since they tend to overheat quickly.

2. Always check your electric cords

Besides being careful of where your appliances are plugged in, make sure to always check your electric cords. If you have cords that are cracked, fraying, or whose wires are showing, replace them immediately since they run the hazard of electrocuting you or starting a fire.

3. Be wary of water around electrical appliances

Check your appliances and see if water from a spill or flood is close to it because it can cause electrocution, especially if your appliance has faulty wiring. If you see a damaged cord in water, unplug the device, and drain or wait for the water to dry so you’re safe from being electrocuted.

4. Unplug when you can

Not only is it more eco-friendly to unplug your appliances when you’re not using them, it is safer for you as well. This is because you don’t have to worry about devices short circuiting, starting fires, or anything else. Additionally, you can extend the length of time that your device can last if you unplug when you can.

5. Check the wattage

Before plugging in a new device, always check the wattage. This is to prevent overheating of the gadget or other electrical problems in case you use the wrong one. 

6. Clean your exhaust fan

When a fan is used for a long period of time, they build dirt and make it more difficult for the fans to properly rotate at the same speed. Also, it causes overheating and possibly a fire hazard so make sure to regularly clean your exhaust fan.

7. Prevent appliances from overheating

Since appliances tend to run hot due to the electricity that keeps them running, they have a tendency to overheat. Make sure there is proper air circulation for all of your appliances to ensure they do not overheat.

8. Regular inspection of electrical circuit

You need to get ahead of potential problems and this includes making sure you know the areas in your home that are potential fire hazards. Hiring a professional to check the electrical circuit or anything else you need for installation/removal is always a good move since they know what to watch out for and how to guarantee your safety from electrical hazards.

What to do in case of electric shock?

Since constant safety cannot be guaranteed, you need to know what you need to do in case you or someone else is electrocuted. See two of the most important tips to keep in mind:

1. Unplug or turn off the appliances

The first thing is you need to unplug or turn off the device that caused electrocution. Doing this immediately saves you from further electrocution, cardiac arrest, seizures, burns, or even death.

2. Don’t touch the injured 

If someone you know was electrocuted, do not touch the person especially if you haven’t unplugged the device or moved them away from the area it happened. This is to prevent you from being shocked as well.

3. Go to hospital and get checked

Whether the person who got injured from electrocution shows mild damage or not, it is better to go to the hospital and get checked. Rather than risk potential internal injuries or anything that cannot be immediately seen after the electric shock, getting a full assessment from a doctor to determine the state is always better. 

Keep your home a safe place

Decorating your house with everything you need and want is great but you should never risk your safety by overlooking important factors like potential electrical hazards. Always make sure that your house has no faulty wirings, overloaded outlets and more to keep your home a safe place. Check everything now so you can live safely and wisely.

ឆ្លើយ​តប

អាសយដ្ឋាន​អ៊ីមែល​របស់​អ្នក​នឹង​មិន​ត្រូវ​ផ្សាយ​ទេ។ វាល​ដែល​ត្រូវ​ការ​ត្រូវ​បាន​គូស *

en_USEN