How to Get a Driving License in Cambodia
Driving in Cambodia is easy especially if you’re doing it legally. By Land Traffic Law, driving any vehicle above 125cc in the Kingdom is legal when you have a Cambodian driver’s license.
TYPES OF CAMBODIAN DRIVER’S LICENSE
There are four types of driver’s license in Cambodia depending on the vehicle that is permitted to drive:
- Type A: It is a type of license required for driving motorcycles.
– A1: Type 1 of Type A driver’s license for motorcycles with a cylindrical size of 49 to 125 cm3.
– A2: Type 2 of Type A driver’s license for motorcycles with a cylindrical size of more than 125 cm3.
- Type B: It is a type of license required for driving a family car or vehicle with a capacity of less than 9 passengers including the driver. It is also the type of license required for tourists.
- Type C: It is a type of license required for driving vehicles used for loading and transporting goods with a total maximum weight of over 3.5 tons and trailers with a total maximum weight of not more than 0.75 tons.
- Type D: It is a type of license required for driving vehicles used for transporting over 9 passengers.
– D1: Type 1 of Type D driver’s license for vehicles with a capacity of transporting 10 to 20 passengers including the driver. Also, trailers with a total maximum weight of not more than 0.75 tons.
– D2: Type 1 of Type D driver’s license for vehicles with a capacity of transporting over 20 passengers including the driver. Also, trailers with a total maximum weight of not more than 0.75 tons.
- Type E: It is a type of license required for driving any vehicles under Type B, C, and D. It is for trailers with a total weight of more than 0.75 tons. It is divided into 3 types, Type EB, Type EC, and Type ED, respectively.
Categories of Cambodian Driving License
TYPES OF DRIVE’S LICENSES IN CAMBODIA
There are three types of driver’s licenses in Cambodia, each with its specifications and purposes:
Cambodian National Driver’s License:
Issued to Cambodian citizens who have passed the driving test and meet the age and health requirements. It allows the holder to drive a specific class of vehicle.
International Driver’s License:
A document that allows the holder to drive a vehicle in Cambodia as a tourist or visitor for a limited period, usually up to six months. It is recognised internationally under the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic.
Temporary Driver’s License:
Issued to foreigners who wish to drive in Cambodia for a short period, usually up to three months. It allows the holder to drive the same vehicle class as their original driver’s license, and they must carry their original license while driving.
WHICH TYPE OF CAMBODIAN DRIVER’S LICENSE SHOULD I GET?
Foreigners who are staying in Cambodia legally, by acquiring a Cambodian visa, must apply for “Type A” or “Type B” driver’s license. A Cambodian driver’s license available for foreigners is valid for one year. The National Police is now requiring foreign drivers to obtain licenses from their home country, an international driver’s license, and a Cambodian driver’s license.
By acquiring such, you can use it as a form of identification, travel insurance, and driving license in some ASEAN Nations. You will no longer need to leave your passport in hotels as you can use the license as an I.D. Insurance in Cambodia does not cover accidents when you don’t possess a local permit. And under the 1985 Agreement on the Recognition of Domestic Driving License Issued by ASEAN countries, a Cambodian driving license is legally accepted in Malaysia and Thailand.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A CAMBODIAN DRIVER’S LICENSE?
In Cambodia, the Ministry of Public Works and Transport is responsible for processing the application and release of the Cambodian Driver’s License. The process takes place in all of their main offices located in Phnom Penh in Aeon Mall I and Aeon Mall II, and at all Provincial Department of Public Works and Transport offices.
Situated on the 2nd floor, Near ABA and Acleda bank.
Monday to Sunday from 9 am to 10 pm
Monday to Friday from 7:30 am to 12 pm, 2 pm to 5:30 pm
Application Process and Requirements:
In applying for a Cambodian driving license, the requirements needed are the following:
- Physical Appearance at the office of Ministry
- Passport (At least 6 months valid)
- Cambodian Visa
- Driver’s License (in English, French or Khmer, obtained in your home country)
- Certificate of Residence or Proof of Residence in Cambodia
- Passport Photos (three 4×6 pictures, white background)
- Medical Certificate (obtained at the Driver’s License Centers for 10,000 Riels)
- Driving License Fee
- Word Permit or Long Term Visa
Driving License Fees:
Whether new or old applicants, physical appearance is highly required for submitting the documents and accomplishing the simple medical examination. Thus, no agent or agency can do this for you. Processing a new application can take about one hour. Meanwhile, renewing it may only take 40 minutes.
The license that you will submit from your home country must be translated in English or French or Khmer. Otherwise, you will need your license translated in your respective embassy in Cambodia.
Residence certificates can be acquired from the local Sangkat office. You will need to approach and ask assistance from your landlord with this. Licenses that will be issued to expats are valid for one year from the date of issuance.
You can set an appointment ahead of time in the Ministry of Public Works and Transport website. The entire process can take about one hour, or all day in case discrepancies arise.
- Go to the 2nd floor of the mall and head to the Driver’s License Service Center.
- Fill out a form with your personal information.
- Present your documents and take the eye test in the medical checkup room. You will be asked to hand over 1 passport photo and 10,000 Riel for the medical test.
- Bring your medical test result in the Driving License Office, along with the 2 passport photos, passport photocopies, and your old license when renewing.
- You will be asked to go inside a room for the assessment and approval of your documents.
- After the approval, a data entry staff member will prepare your application where you will be called to sign on your documents.
- You will be asked to take the documents at the Wing Kiosk outside and pay for the driving license fee amounting to 30,000 Riel, plus a wing fee of 1,000 Riel.
- Return to the staff member inside the office for rechecking your documents and receipt payment made.
- Wait for the printing and release of your license.
Procedure at the General Department of Public Works and Transport:
- After entering the office, you will need to present your license from your home country.
- Fill out a form with your personal information.
- Proceed to the next building and photocopy your visa, home country’s license, and passport.
- Accomplish the medical eye test in the next building. Pay 10,000 Riel for the medical test and you will be given a receipt.
- Take the receipt to the Licensing office, together with the other requirements.
- Present the requirements to several authorities and they will sign it for approval. The Sangkat letter will be checked thoroughly to make sure that all information is correct and valid.
- You will be directed to a WING booth outside the office, and pay for the driving license fee amounting to 30,000 Riel with a surcharge of 1,000 Riel.
- Return to the staff member inside the office for rechecking your documents and receipt of the payment made.
- Wait for the printing and release of your license.
New licenses are printed on paper cards and covered in plastic sheath. It has U.V watermarks and is waterproof.
GETTING A 10-YEAR CAMBODIAN DRIVER’S LICENSE
Officially, the validity of a Cambodian driver’s license is for ten years. However, acquiring it requires a lengthier but highly-secured process which makes it more difficult to accomplish. If you plan to live in Cambodia for longer term, and don’t mind the long process, a 10-year Cambodian driving license is your best option.
The process is quite similar to getting a one-year Cambodian driver’s license but with additional tests and fees. The Cambodian driving license costs 90,000 Riel and 10,000 Riel for medical test. Additional tests include passing the theory test and practical driving test.
The theory test is done on computer and can be taken in either English or Khmer. As it covers driving policies, passing the test will require studying a driver’s handbook. It can be purchased from any driving school.
The practical driving test is done with an instructor. To pass this test, you will need to convince the instructor that you are capable of driving properly. You will be asked to drive on a slope, make a couple of maneuvers, and perform parallel parking. The license will be released after passing this last test.
Potential Consequences of Driving Without a License in Cambodia
Driving without a license in Cambodia can have serious legal and practical consequences. Here are some potential consequences of driving without a license in Cambodia:
- Driving without a license in Cambodia can result in fines, imprisonment, or both.
- Driving without a license increases the risk of accidents for the driver, passengers, and pedestrians.
- Driving without a license can invalidate insurance coverage.
- Driving without a license can make it challenging to obtain a license in the future.
- Driving without a license can damage an individual’s reputation and impact job opportunities.
- Foreigners driving without a license in Cambodia may face deportation.
Why Buying A Property in Cambodia is Important before Applying for a Driving License?
Investing in property and obtaining a valid driver’s license are two separate processes, but both can bring significant benefits to expats living in Cambodia. By owning a property, you not only have a place to call your own but also indirectly fulfil the residency requirement for obtaining a driver’s license. With a driver’s license, you can conveniently explore different neighbourhoods when searching for a property and easily travel around the city or countryside.
Here are some possible connections between taking a driving license and buying property in Cambodia:
Having a driver’s license can make it easier to explore different neighbourhoods and travel around the city or countryside when searching for a property to buy. It can also be more convenient for regular visits to the property or transportation of renovation materials.
To obtain a Cambodian driver’s license, a valid residency permit is required. Owning a property in Cambodia can indirectly contribute to fulfilling this requirement, as it can be used to obtain a residency permit.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How Long Does It Take To Get A Driver’s License In Cambodia?
The duration for obtaining a driver’s license in Cambodia varies depending on the type of license and the individual’s driving experience. It can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.
- What Is The Age Requirement For Obtaining A Driver’s License In Cambodia?
The age requirement for obtaining a driver’s license in Cambodia is 18 years old for cars and 16 years old for motorcycles.
- How Many Attempts Can I Take To Clear The Driver’s License Test In Cambodia?
There is no specific limit on the number of attempts that can be taken to clear the driver’s license test in Cambodia. However, if an individual fails the test, they will need to wait for a certain period of time before they can take the test again.
- Can I Drive A Motorbike With A Car Driver’s License In Cambodia?
No, a car driver’s license does not allow an individual to drive a motorbike in Cambodia. A separate license is required for driving a motorcycle, and the individual must pass a different driving test to obtain it.